This event is first and foremost a fundraiser for Meals on Wheels and designed to promote fun!
That being said, we do have a few rules:
- $5 entry fee per crock-pot. All entries must be homemade (even Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese is not allowed. It wouldn’t win anyway, we hope.)
- Tables, serving utensils, and power will be provided.
- Bring entry(s) to the First Baptist Church, 601 Main St., Bennington by 9:30 on January 20 and plan on being there to serve (there will be people who can spot you for bathroom breaks, etc.).
- We’ll begin selling tickets at 10 a.m. and continue untill about 12:30, when votes will be gathered and counted. Winners will be announced around 12:45.
- Samples will be approximately 1/3 of a cup, about the size of a ladle or large serving spoon.
- A list of ingredients must be provided near your entry for those with food allergies.
- Any size slow-cooker is allowed. In fact, for your sake, the bigger the better because …
- Judging is done by attendees, who purchase tickets for $1 each or 6 for $5. Each ticket entitles the holder to one sample and one vote. The more samples you sell, the better your chances of coming in first, so it pays to get as many of your friends and family members to come out. Tell them to vote early and often!
- The top three entries will win a wooden spoon (gold, silver and bronze) as well as other prizes. The top vote-getter wins a $50 gift card from King Arthur Flour.
Thanks for your interest and good luck!!!
It’s time to dust off the cheese graters and casserole dishes for the Bennington Farmers Market’s Second Annual Macaroni and Cheese Competition to benefit the Bennington County Meals on Wheels program Saturday, January 20.
Last year’s event was a big success with more than a dozen delicious dishes delighting the palates of attendees. More than $400 was raised for Meals on Wheels, the figure to beat this year.
Over $100 dollars in prizes have been provided by the King Arthur Flour company, including a $50 gift certificate for the chef who creates the winning mac and cheese. Entrants pay a $5 entry fee and bring a large slow-cooker full of their best Mac and Cheese. Patrons purchase tickets which give them samples and votes. Everyone leaves with full stomachs and the satisfaction of participating in a good cause.
Individuals and groups are encouraged to join the fun as chefs or samplers. Interested cooks may sign up at the Bennington Farmers’ Market manager’s table Saturday, January 6 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Bennington, 601 Main Street, or by contacting Audrey Pietrucha at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6 Dave Kellner, David Banulis
20 Immune Friction
3 Krista Speroni
17 Tom Gizzi
3 Bennington Appreciation Day. College music choice
17 Steve Spensley
7 Morgan Morse
21 Rosin the Beaux
Join us for the first outdoor market: Saturday, May 6, 10am-1pm!
We’ll be back outside at the Riverwalk Park near the Station Restaurant (150 Depot St.) The stage is all assembled for The Ransom Notes, Tim Marr will lead a Green Up group to clean the park and riverside, and the children’s tent will be run by Growing Up Right.
Come visit your favorite vendors, and stock up on great food for the week!
6 The Ransom Notes
13 Dave Kellner, David Banulis
20 Bud and James
27 Chris Giannitti (Mowgli)
3 Barry Hyman
10 Cosby Gibson
17 Joe Tucker
24 Steve Spensley
1 Bruce Wheat
8 Beledi Tribal Bellydance
15 Passin Thru
22 Linda Cullum
29 Trio Cafe Budapest
5 Cindy and Kelly
12 Gus Bloch
19 Scott Forrest
26 Deena Chappell
2 Bernice Lewis
16 Aura Shards
30 Ms. Wicker and Mr. Tony Elbow
Saturday, February 18, 10 a.m. till noon:
Think about entering our Macaroni and Cheese Cook Off! The competition is open to mac and cheese aficionados of all ages and skill levels, including everyday fans of the creamy comfort food, amateur chefs, and local restauranteurs.
To participate, sign up at one of our upcoming markets, or contact Audrey at the phone/email listed below.
Bring a hot crock pot full of your best recipe by 9:30 the day of the competition.
Samples of the entries will be for sale for $1 each to patrons, who will cast ballots for their favorites. Votes will be counted starting at noon, though samples will still be available for sale.
Prizes will be awarded at 12:30 to the top three entrants.
Proceeds from the event will benefit Bennington County Meals on Wheels.
For a list of rules or for more information please contact Audrey Pietrucha at 802-733-6981 or at email@example.com.